Treated for cardio lymphoma and ejection fraction is 10. What is the life expectancy?

My partner just was told his ejection fraction is 10. He has been treated for cardio lymphoma at Mayo Clinic and that was supposedly successful. It has been 8 month since his last chemo treatment. Can he do anything to get his ejection fraction up? What is the life expectancy ?
Posted Thu, 15 Nov 2012 in Heart Failure
Answered by Dr. Anil Grover 1 hour later
Hi there,
Thanks for writing in.
I am a qualified and certified cardiologist and I read your mail with diligence.
I take your word that your doctor feel that lymphoma is cured. It might have been heart muscle dysfunction which has led to this degree of heart failure. Certainly with modern method you can expect more options for further treatment and reasonable life expectancy. Though in Marfan's syndrome, one has to be careful about status of aortic valve regurgitation, and I assume that has been excluded by echocardiography & Doppler examination.
In the event of normal coronaries and normal aortic valve you may require bi-ventricular pacing. You can discuss this with your cardiologist. You may be a candidate for heart transplant. Now the question arises what is bi-ventricular pacing. Some centers use this as a bridge while waiting for heart transplant.
In most patients of congestive heart failure there is intra-ventracular conduction defect. That electrical dysfunction make the two ventricles Right and Left to start working in a non synchronous manner. Normal pacemaker (implanted by a cardiologist for slow heart rate) usually paces only right ventricle or right atrium and right ventricle. This does not remove asynchronous manner. So an advance device is implanted in which three wires are placed in the heart to pace right atrium, right ventricle and left ventricle in a synchronous manner. This is called re synchronization therapy for congestive heart failure (CRT). A further advance of device is adding intra cardiac defibrillator(ICD) function to it in some cases that is combo device : combination of ICD and bi ventricular pacing. I hope that answers your question. If you have question for me I will be most happy to answer. Good Luck.
With Best Wishes.
Dr Anil Grover,
M.B.;B.S, M.D. (Internal Medicine) D.M.(Cardiology)
http://www/ WWW.WWWW.WW