Treated for burkitt's non-hodgkin's lymphoma. Infected with tick and diagnosed for lyme disease. Any advice?

Hi there ,
My name is XXXXXXX, i'm from Slovenia (Europe), 38-years old.
In year 2011 i was diagnosed for Burkitt's Non-Hodgkin's lymphoma. (left side of stomach)
+ I had small radiation treatment on my neck lymph, which was just suspected lypmh, but never confirmed like positive, but they decided to treat that too.
Also i had, that was the reason to start with investigations and tests, in my left leg, XXXXXXX vein trombosis.
First i noticed swollen left lymph in groin area, then my leg was swollen , then they discovered tumor mass of groin - stomach.
I have complete remission and now i have regular check-ups, every 3-4 months.
So far looking good.

Now, i have one question.
Approx. 2 years before i was infected with tick and i was diagnosed for lyme disease. We're living in such an area, where you can get ticks. (forest ...).
I was taking that time some antibiotics, and that was about it. Those red cyrcles dissapears and everything was ok.
So, is there any research about lyme disease and lymphomas ?
Cause, as far as i know, that disease can also attack lymph system ?

In hospital i was mentioned about lyme disease, but there no body tells you, possible causses or anything. Maybe also weak immune system, stress ?
Since i had tick on my left leg and then after few years also swollen lypmh and trombosis in my left side, could be possible ?

Thanks for any kind of information, oppinion,

Posted Tue, 6 Nov 2012 in Lymphoma
Answered by Dr. Aparna Kohli 6 hours later
As far as the link between Lyme disease and lymphoma is concerned, the organism that causes Lyme disease has been linked ( which does not mean there is definitive evidence about the causative role), to some lymphomas like Primary Cutaneous ( on the skin) Marginal B cell lymphoma. Having said that, it is true that most people with such a lymphoma would not have had Lyme’s disease and most people who do have Lyme’s disease do not develop this lymphoma.
While the disease does affect the lymphatics, there is no conclusive evidence about whether this actually causes such a lymphoma or not
In your case, I do not think Lyme’s was responsible for your lymphoma. Burkitt’s is a special and rare case of lymphoma which develops due to a specific translocation of the chromosomes. The weak immune system or stress could not be contributing to the Burkitt’s or to the Lyme’s disease.
Lyme’s was due to the bite of the tick through which the organism Borrelia recurrentis is transmitted.
Hope that helps
I wish you the very best
Follow-up: Treated for burkitt's non-hodgkin's lymphoma. Infected with tick and diagnosed for lyme disease. Any advice? 3 hours later
Thanks for your reply.
Yes, it helps to understand little more now.

Best regards,
Answered by Dr. Aparna Kohli 1 minute later
Thanks for writing back
If you have no more questions, please close this discussion