Treated for atrial fibrillation. How long should I take sotalol?

I was recently treated for Atrial Fibrillation and prescribed Sotalol XXXXXXX as a medication. Do I need to be on this indefinitely? I had afib last year after surgery but was resolved immediately after -- just had a recurrence last week, with a rapid heart rate and doctor started me on this medicine and an aspirin ... last year after the surgery, the cardiologist noted a normal ekg and told me to stop the heart medications .. this time, a new dr.(different facility) claimed i could be on this medicine indefinitely - although i have again been restored to sinus rhythm ,,, i'm confused
The afib last year - following the surgery- was the first time i ever had it --
Posted Mon, 25 Mar 2013 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Answered by Dr. Anantharamakrishnan 1 hour later
Hi friend,
Welcome to Health Care Magic

Medicines fall into 2 categories – 1) Drugs modifying/treating the disease and/or cause 2) Drugs relieving/controlling the symptoms.
Sotalol does not modify the disease / nor does it treat the cause.
Therefore, the possibility of recurrence is always present, when the drug is stopped.

If the episode is rare / if it is tolerated well – one can stop the drug and hope for disease free interval.

The alternative and advanced treatment modality is Radio-Frequency ablation, which could be done during Electro Physiological Study (EPS) > it resembles angio – a catheter is put inside the heart / electrical activity recorded / stimulation and suppression tests are carried out / origin of arrhythmia is identified / suitable medicines tested and so on. Though the test is the gold standard, it is INVASIVE and has a risk (though minimal) and is not generally done unless there are compelling indications. This super-speciality expert is called ELECTRO-PHYSIOLOGIST. The treating doctor may suggest them depending on need, based on his assessment of the situation.

Wishing speedy recovery
God bless
Good luck
Follow-up: Treated for atrial fibrillation. How long should I take sotalol? 39 minutes later
So then the medication is controlling the symptom but not the cause.

Seemed that the 2012 surgery and the stress of it first brought on the afib.
Now under being some stress and overweight, it recurred.

Dr. said that I am in the 'low risk' category -- only borderline hypertension --

I am overweight-- so i want to reduce, thinking this may improve my blood pressure and body fat ..

Does exercize triger afib? i am woried about ths -- want to cycle, play golf et. walk will the medication protect me ? ..

Answered by Dr. Anantharamakrishnan 6 hours later

Exercise can trigger A-fib.
Not in everybody.
Not every time.
The medication protects.
The ideal approach will be to first try exercise under supervision - TMT (Tread Mill exercise Test) in the doctor's office - before embarking outside.

Weight reduction and pressure control are treatable / manageable risk factors for heart. It helps in the long term.

Follow-up: Treated for atrial fibrillation. How long should I take sotalol? 31 hours later
Would iitbe reasonable to expect risk for recurrence will diminish if i lose 30-50 lbs? i am 5'8, 245 lbs. (highest i've ever been)

Also reducing my BP.

I dont want to have a "procedure" would rather continue the med in hope of finally eliminating the need to take long term
Answered by Dr. Anantharamakrishnan 3 hours later
Life style modification (especially diet and exercise) definitely helps in reducing the blood pressure.

Weight reduction may not be of much help in A-fib.
Reducing Anxiety / Alcohol / Tobacco (smoking) / Caffeine (too much coffee, cola) will help. Avoid medicines like Phenylephrine (used for ‘cold’) / Salbutamol (used for asthma) and so on. Illicit ‘drugs’ like Amphetamine are notorious to cause abnormal beats

recurrence is precipitated by unknown reason in most times / and may not recur too. Continue the drugs, Have frequent follow up

Good luck