Treated for acute pancreatitis. Taking oxycodone after gallbladder removal. Safe to discontinue oxycodone?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
opiate withdrawalI tore my calf muscle in Nov 2012 and took 2-4 Norco a day. a few weeks ago I stopped cold XXXXXXX and experienced withdrawals. after a wk they were gone. unfortunately I got very sick with acute pancreatitis and was hospitalized and put on dilauded as I was in severe pain. the surgeon removed my gallbladder 2 days later and I am 5th day post open and have been on 40 mg/day oxycodone since the surgery. I decided I don't need them any longer. after being on them for a wk, will I go through withdrawals all over again? will it be just as severe?
Posted Wed, 20 Feb 2013 in Medicines and Side Effects
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 2 hours later
After taking oxycodone for only week, you are not likely to have any serious withdrawal symptoms. You can stop taking it and can continue with milder pain killers like ibuprofen. Stopping oxycodone now is not likely to cause many symptoms.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.
Follow-up: Treated for acute pancreatitis. Taking oxycodone after gallbladder removal. Safe to discontinue oxycodone? 2 hours later
just to be clear it had only been 1 wk since I quit Vicodin and was done detoxing. clean for one wk and had to go back on. 2 months on, 1 wk off, 1 wk on
Thanks for writing again.
Yes I do understand that you have been on oxycodone for 1 week. This happened 1 week after you stopped taking narcotics suddenly. Please do not worry. You are not likely to suffer any severe withdrawal symptoms this time.
Hope my answer is helpful.
Do accept my answer in case there are no further queries.