Treated for UTI with levaquin. Missing period, passing white discharge. HPT negative. Pregnant?

Mar 2013
Hi, I am 19 and have recently been treated for a severe UTI with Levaquin and just started Macrobid. My period is 7 days late and I am experiencing quite a bit of egg white like discharge. I also contracted a yeast infection along with the antibiotic use. I am sexually active and we always use a condom. I have taken 3 at home pregnancy tests that all were negative. Should I be concerned about possibly being pregnant or are these antibiotics and health issues associated with late or missed periods?
Posted Wed, 10 Apr 2013 in Early Pregnancy Signs and Symptoms
Answered by Dr. Aarti Abraham 5 minutes later

Firstly, UTI or yeast infection or the treatment for the same generally does not interfere with your menstrual cycle.
There are other reasons which could result in a late period.
Often, during the span of the reproductive life of a female, it is a normal occurrence.
Stress, anxiety, emotional upheavals, trauma, frequent travelling, often compound the issue.
Ingestion of hormonal medications could be responsible.
Thyroid hormone disturbances, high prolactin levels could be a cause.
Polycystic ovaries are a major cause of late periods in young women.
Thickening of the lining of the uterus ( endometrial hyperplasia ) sometimes occurs due to hormonal imbalances, and that results in a late period.
You mention that you are diabetic, if not controlled, then that could alter your menstrual pattern.
Genital tuberculosis, anemia etc also cause such a picture.

In your case, if pregnancy has been reasonably ruled out, then I guess it is the stress of the recent infections.
However, if you fail to have your periods within a few days, you would do well to consult a Gynecologist, since you are young, and need to have the other conditions ruled out as well.

Take care, and feel free to ask any further questions.