Treated for TB in the lungs. Started having breathing difficulty. X-ray normal. Is this normal?

Sep 2012

Hello Doctor,

I was treated for TB in the lungs from Aug 2008 to XXXXXXX 2009. Post treatment i have been having problem breathing. Whenever i climb steps or lift a heavy object i start breathing heave for few minutes (more compared to others). I consulted by doctor again and he got an x-ray done and said everything is normal and no need to worry. Can you let me know if this is normal..

Posted Wed, 13 Feb 2013 in Lung and Chest disorders
Answered by Dr. Das Arindam 22 minutes later

Thank you for posting a query.

Look, these types of symptoms can be seen in many conditions like anemia, generalized weakness, chronic obstructive pulmonary disease and many more. It is not normal.

As, your chest x-ray is not indicative of any definite disease condition, most possible cause is either anemia or generalized weakness. After a tuberculosis infection, anemia is quite common. It is known as anemia of chronic disease. The drugs, used to treat tuberculosis can also lead to generalized weakness.

To differentiate these conditions, you have to be examined clinically. Besides, you have to do a complete hemogram. Any discrepancy in the report should be noted. Treatment should be done accordingly.

In general, you can take a good, nutritious diet. A multivitamin agent should also be taken.

If all these fail to improve the condition, you should be investigated more meticulously, for presence of any other disease condition. Sometimes mild fibrosis can occur due to tuberculosis infection. For that a high resolution CT scan of thorax should be considered. In that case, you have to consult with a pulmonologist in person for detailed clinical examination and also for further management.

Hope this information suffices. Let me know, if you have any more question.