Treated for C6 disc protrusion. Heartburn and coughing undigested food. Barium swallow test normal. Concerned

I being treated for a C6 Disc potrusion in the neck and have a couple of disc in my back as well. Having some recent issues swallowing. Mainly solids.. have to be careful what I eat, some times spit. Barium test came back normal and neurolgist and nerosurgen said that is wonderful news as all the proper functions are working as they should... Occassional heart burn, caugh up undigested food once. I'm told health is wonderful otherwise.

Posted Thu, 31 Jan 2013 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Ratnakar Kini 1 hour later
I am Dr.Ratnakar Kini and i am pleased to answer your query.
Since barium swallow test is normal, there is nothing abnormal either in the function or the structure of the food pipe as your doctor has mentioned.
The heartburn and coughing up undigested food may indicate GERD. Painful swallowing can occur with GERD and is most often felt and described as difficulty in swallowing. This might be the likely reason in your case. Take OTC prilosec for relief.
In long standing GERD, narrowing of the food pipe causing difficulty in swallowing can occur. But that has been ruled out in your case with barium swallow test.

Very rarely, the disc herniation and C5-6 can cause difficulty in swallowing. Discuss with your doctor about this.

I hope that answers your question.
If you have no more questions, kindly accept this answer and rate this service.

Dr.Ratnakar Kini