Travel sickness, feeling dizzy. Medication and precautions?

Hello Doctor,
I vomit if I travel in a bus, especially if I do not get a clear view of the road ahead. I can drive for hours in a car with no problems. However, I get a dizzy feeling even if I read a book inside a car or do not follow the path of the car. Is there anything that could be done about this?
Posted Sun, 6 May 2012 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 1 hour later

What you are having is motion sickness/ car sickness. In this a person has inability to read a map or book during travel or feels uncomfortable when the vehicle goes around corners or over hills and even small bumps. Car sickness results from the sensory conflict arising in the brain from differing sensory inputs.

Follow the following tips for treatment from motion sickness. These are:

1)     Do not read a book during car travel. Instead, simply look out of the window of the moving vehicle and to gaze toward the horizon in the direction of travel, take a nap or chew gum.

2)     You can get medicines prescribed from your doctor and these include dimenhydrinate, cinnarizine and meclozine. Scopolamine can also be used in the form of transdermal patches or as a newer tablet form. These are to be taken 30-60 minutes before travel.

3)     Avoid spicy and greasy foods and alcohol and don't overeat before travel. Also avoid smoking or sitting near smokers.

Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries.