Traumatic brain injury patient,suffered seizure,physiotherapy and extra care post seizure

Hello, I am a physio, my TBI patient 20 yo,suffered a seizure today (his first one ever) he is about 2 month post injur he was pretty stable and physio wise we were doing gait retraining last weeks. I would like to ask if his physio rehab should be modified at any way the first post seizure days and if any extra care should be taken? Thanks, Vee
Posted Mon, 23 Apr 2012 in Head Injuries
Answered by Dr. Prasad 3 hours later

Seizures can occur frequently with most patient suffering from Head injury. They are mostly seen in almost 70 - 80 out of 100 times when blood or intracranial space occupying lesions are present. At this point, I would say that it could have been better if you had reported his brain scan reports here.

Seizures usually respond well and effectively with use of 'anti-epileptic' medication. Common medications containing phenytoin, phenobarbitone, sodium valproate are effective here and may be used as suggested by his / her treating doctor.

Physiotherapy can be continued once seizure is controlled. In the time being bed side physio in the form of passive and active ROM can be continued.

Hope I have answered your query adequately. I am available to clear your other doubts which you may have.