Trauma resulted in disc bulging, ruptured and fluid leaked from it. Mobilised from physiotherapist. Advised for pain management. Advise?

My daughter had a major trauma to her back at work several years ago that resulted in a disc bulging from between her spine joints. That disc was itself ruptured and fluid leaked from it, she found out later. Being naive, she headed to her GP, who immediately sent her off to a phsyiotherapist who MOBILISED her, jiggilng her around, from what I can make out. Later, my daughter learned immobilisation should have been the path to take when the trauma occurred. In the following years, she managed the pain and took unpaid time from her work in an effort to help her recovery.
Back at work, another accident, minor though it was, has set the whole issue in motion, to the point that she is only able to work 12 hrs a week at the moment, and the work GP and others associated with her issue, have told her to see a "psych" for pain management. I am concerned, as I have seen the result of pain management drugs used for spinal problems.
What would be your ideas? - XXXXXX
Posted Sun, 19 May 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Rajiv K Khandelwal 1 hour later

Thank you for your query.

Any injury needs to be evaluated before further course of management can be suggested. I suggest that your daughter consults an orthopedic surgeon and get her injury evaluated. She may even require a MRI to know the extent of injury and then only management protocol decided.

I hope I have answered your query to your satisfaction. Please revert back in case you need any clarifications or would like to share more facts.

Wishing your daughter an early recovery.

Rajiv K Khandelwal