Trauma of ear drums, infections, tympanoplasty, CT, fluid and nodular membrane, thick mucus drainage, keflex. Medications?

This is probably a question for an ear specialist-ENT. I have had trauma to the eardrums from a tornado.(I was a passenger in a car and the tornado lifted the car and threw it two football fields away. I was told I should have opened my mouth to alleviate the pressure, but when the windows and doors blew off, my eardrums also exploded. I also grow adhesions very quickly and thickly. There have been infections from the problems in the ear. Tympanoplasties have been done in the left ear. At present, very little hearing is available. The right eardrum broke and of course the hearing is muffled. The perforation was caused by a pressure on the eardrum accidentally and the eardrum broke.

My questions: The CT done on the head revealed some "fluid and nodular membrane thickening in the left maxillary sinus. Under pneumatization of the left mastoid air cells." I have chronic, thick mucous drainage from the left sinus. I always have pressure in my teeth and sinuses/ear on the left. On the right, hopefully, the eardrum will heal quickly and now fill in with adhesions. I am going to take Keflex for seven days to keep infection out of my "good right ear."

Thanks for your help. My hearing is vital as I work as a transcriptionist/editor of dictation.

YYYY@YYYY (Barbara) 61 years old
Posted Tue, 17 Apr 2012 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 1 hour later

I can understand your concern for these symptoms. Unfortunately what you had was traumatic tympanic membrane perforation of both the ears caused by excessive pressure during the tornado.

Your left ear has undergone tympanoplasties but they will not restore 100% hearing. Some amount of hearing can be restored after tympanoplasties but it is not as before and the voices you hear may be muffled. After tympanoplasty it is advisable to wear good quality hearing aids so as to have an improved hearing.

Secondly, the CT report reveals chronic maxillary sinusitis. Maxillary sinus is the largest paranasal sinus and drains into the mouth. It can normally be seen above the level of the premolar and molar teeth in the upper jaw and because of its anatomical relation, it is easier for infection to spread over here.

Chronic sinusitis usually happens when the sinus cavities are not draining properly and the secretions get blocked. The accumulated secretions get infected repeatedly.

For this purpose, use an over-the-counter (OTC) decongestant combined with an anti-inflammatory analgesic (pain reliever). But these are to be used for 5-7 days at a time.

You may also nasal sprays containing saline, antihistaminics or corticosteroids but these are to be taken under prescription. However the best treatment for stuffy nose is steam inhalation.

Inhaling steam from a bowl of hot (but not boiling water) may help to soften, and loosen, the buildup of mucus in your nose. You may also find that adding some menthol crystals, or eucalyptus oil, to the water helps a lot.

Other than that, avoid eating indigestible, spicy, foods and meats and eat simple wholesome foods. Out-of-door exercise, sunbaths and swimming also help a lot.

Also consult your doctor as if you continue to resist treatment or medication, endoscopic sinus surgery may be an option.

Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries.

Follow-up: Trauma of ear drums, infections, tympanoplasty, CT, fluid and nodular membrane, thick mucus drainage, keflex. Medications? 2 days later
Thank you so very much for your answer. It is very helpful! Have a great day!
Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 8 hours later

Thanks for writing back and for your kind words.

We will be happy to answer any further medical queries or health concerns that you have.

Take care and regards.