Trapped within a rather vivid nightmare, rapid and shallow breathing along with high BP. Physical toll on the body ?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
If a person was somehow trapped within a rather vivid nightmare (maybe about 24 hours), and sustain rapid and shallow breathing along with high blood pressure and fast heft rate, what would be the physical toll on the body
Posted Thu, 21 Jun 2012 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 3 hours later
When you have a nightmare, it's just a dream. What happened in the dream is only a dream and it cannot affect you in the physical world, try to relax and go back to sleep.
Please do not worry. These do not have any persistent effects on the body. Most of these are associated with psychological ill effects which need to be evaluated by a psychiatrist.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.
Follow-up: Trapped within a rather vivid nightmare, rapid and shallow breathing along with high BP. Physical toll on the body ? 4 hours later
Alright let me rephrase the question, what would be the toll on the body if you retained a rapid heart rate and high blood pressure along with quick and shallow breaths for a extended pd of time, akin to what you would feel when running along time, the heart rate, blood pressure, and breathing lasting much long then it should. Please note this question is for academic knowledge only (for a story), and is not happening to anyone.
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 4 hours later
Thanks for writing again.
The changes you have mentioned are all normal physiological changes and these are not likely to affect the physical condition. The problems will arise only if there are any co morbid conditions like heart disease, diabetes, hypercholesterolemia, etc. In a healthy individual, these will not cause any harm.
Hope my answer is helpful.
Do accept my answer in case there are no further queries.