Transverse/sagittal images thyroid gland, thyroid reuptake scan, thyroid function tests. Nodules and cysts. Diagnosis?

Transverse and sagittal images were obtained of the thyroid gland. The right lobe measures 5.0 x 1.5 x 1.9 cm and left lobe measures 4.1 x 1.3 x 2 cm. The isthmus measures 0.2 cm. There are multiple bilateral heterogeneous nudules and cysts, some containing coarse calcifications. The largest right lobe nodule measures approx. 0.7 cm in greatest dimension and the largest nodule of the left lobe measures approx. 0.6 cm. No microcalcifications are visualized.

What in the heck does all of this mean? And, now my Endo wants to send me to do a Thyroid Reuptake Scan????? WHAT????

All of my thyroid function tests came back as:

TSH - 0.825 uIU/mL (normal range 0.360-3.740)
Free T4 - 1.28 ng/dL (normal range 0.76-1.46)
Free T3 - 4.66 pg/mL (normal range 2.18-3.98)

My husband and I are trying to conceive a baby but with the thyroid results and ultrasound, we are actually concerned as to if we should continue to try.

What is going on with me??? I am 34 and have always had normal thyroid results.
Posted Mon, 7 May 2012 in Thyroid Problem and Hormonal Problems
Answered by Dr. Sapan J. Pandya 2 hours later

Your scan says that your thyroid may have many (multiple) both-sided (bilateral) varied-form (heterogeneous) solid growth (tumors) and liquid collections (cysts).

In THYROID REUPTAKE SCAN, Radio-Iodine is injected, which is collected (reuptake) by your thyroid gland. It will suggest what types of cysts and tumors you have- benign (non-cancerous) or malignant (cancerous).I am of the opinion that the cysts and tumors are all benign, so you should not really worry.To be on the safer side, you should go for the THYROID REUPTAKE SCAN.

Use of Radio-Iodine will have teratogenic side effects(anamolies in the child)during pregnancy,hence you should not plan a pregnancy for at least 1 year of exposure. It is not going to harm you, but you should not take any chance with your child.

Hope this answers your query.I am available for follow ups as well.