Tractor rolled over and have twisted knee and suspected broken ribs. Feeling dizzy while lifting heavy things. Is this normal?

Jul 2013

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement
Two weeks A 4500 lb farm tractor rolled over with me on it. The loader was up and acted like a roll bar. still, I got a twisted knee, one or two suspected broken ribs and a few bumps on the head. I feel pain on my left XXXXXXX lower ribs and also high on the left side of my back.

My condition seems to be improving although if I attempt to lift any object over about 15 pounds of walk any distance, I get dizzy.

I have not had a CAT scan or x-ray.

Is this condition normal with suspected broken ribs?
Posted Thu, 14 Nov 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. K. Naga Ravi Prasad 29 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Dizziness is not a symptom of Broken ribs.

Detailed Answer:
Hi, thanks for writing to XXXXXXX

Dizziness is in no way related to suspected broken ribs. Propably it has a different cause. Some of the common causes of dizziness include - Stress, Skipping meals, Standing up too quickly, Anemia, Anxiety disorders, drug reactions, inner ear causes and intra cranial problems.

There are several ways a person can feel dizzy. In most cases a major illness is not the cause. In fact only 5% of people who suffer from lightheadedness or dizziness have a serious illness.

Some people experience lightheadedness and dizziness when bending down, and then standing up to quickly. Lightheadedness can also just be a sign that a person needs to slow down, have a snack, or cool down.

Walking long distances on a very hot day can make a person feel dizzy, and make one feel faint.

There are several disorders related to dizziness for which a detailed clinical examination along with appropriate investigations are needed to establish the exact cause.
- If you are unable to do everyday tasks because of dizziness,you should get medical attention right away.
- If you feel dizzy for only a few minutes it may be a sign of a serious problem.
- if you have spurts of dizziness over the course of several days you should seek medical attention.

So, I suggest you to consult an XXXXXXX medicine specialist for a detailed evaluation and further management.

Hope I have addressed your query.