Traces of albumin in urine,can kidney be donated?

I'm planning to donate a kidney for a family member, My test showed traces of albumin in urine, does this mean I can't donate a kidney?
Posted Sun, 22 Apr 2012 in Kidney Conditions
Answered by Dr. Deepak Anvekar 44 minutes later

Presence of traces of albumin in the urine is not a reason to be alarmed about.

Proteinuria is a common finding in adults in primary care practice. Nearly 17% of normal adults have been found to have trace proteinuria. Benign causes include fever, intense activity or exercise, dehydration, emotional stress and acute illness.

You have probably undergone the Dip stick analysis for urine proteins which is graded as follows:

Negative (less than 10 mg per dL),
Trace (10 to 20 mg per dL),
1+ (30 mg per dL),
2+ (100 mg per dL),
3+ (300 mg per dL) or
4+ (1,000 mg per dL).

Urine dipstick tests are crude methods of quantifying proteinuria and should be followed up with the following tests :-
1. 24 hour urine protein analysis and
2. Urine albumin-to-creatinine ratio (UACR) analysis.

Proteinuria is defined as urinary protein excretion of greater than 150 mg/day.

A UACR more than 30mg/gram is a sign of kidney disorder.

Once the tests mentioned above have been done, and are found to be normal, there will be no contraindication for you to be a kidney donor.

Hope I have answered your query.

I will be available to answer your follow up queries.
Follow-up: Traces of albumin in urine,can kidney be donated? 17 hours later
Dear Dr. Anvekar

Thank you

I'm going through the tests required which will take some time, but in the mean time how should i prepare my self (nutrition, life style) and make sure that results return normal.

please advice
Answered by Dr. Deepak Anvekar 1 hour later
Hello and welcome,

Since the history provided does not indicate that you do not have any medical conditions no major Lifestyle and dietary changes are needed in your case.

Your tests will most probably normal and hence you need not worry about them.

For your information: -- A person with diabetes, hypertension, or both should work to control blood glucose and blood pressure. Restricting dietary salt and protein would also be helpful in patients with hypertension.

A person with diabetes and high blood pressure may need a medicine from a class of drugs called angiotensin-converting enzyme (ACE) inhibitors or a similar class called angiotensin receptor blockers (ARBs). These drugs have been found to protect kidney function even more than other drugs that provide the same level of blood pressure control.

In case you do not have such issues, normal diet, and physical exercise and maintaining a good weight will be sufficient.

Wish you good health.