Touched urine and got infected with mono. Are they related?

I touched urine in a urinal on a dare when I was 12 years old. I wash my hands very well after. When I was 15 I got mono. Are these related? I am just paranoid and trying to figure out the diseases I could get.
Posted Mon, 25 Feb 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Kalpana Pathak 1 hour later
Firstly, touching someone's urine in no way would transmit any infection. Secondly, you had washed your hand too. So there should be no cause of worry esp 20 years later.
Having a mononucleosis infection is not related to touching urine because mononucleosis is caused by saliva or mucus hence can spread through kissing,coughing and sneezing.
The time taken from exposure to organism and developing infection( incubation period) is 4 to 6 weeks in mono and hence any exposure whatsoever at the age of 12 would not manifest at age of 15. So these two things are unrelated.

Right now, you should not worry as you are in no way at risk of acquiring any disease just because you accidentally touched someone's urine at the age 12.

Hope that answers your query. Should there be any other doubt, feel free to write back.