Total hysterectomy done. Having severe pain and started bleeding. Looking for suggestion

OBGYN, Gynecologic Oncology
I am having some pain, and bleeding of old blood 11 months post sub total hysterectomy, which was performed abdominally, Post op complications included 4 infections and slow recovery. returned to work after ten weeks at 80% function. I followed all rehab advice to the letter but feel my ability to function and participate in my normal every day life is being hampered. I have increased pain on the left side over hip flexor in particular, Myofascial release has been helpful but now riding my horse is increasingly painful. Am concerned about the increased bleeding and pain
Posted Sat, 2 Feb 2013 in Cervical and Ovarian Cancer
Answered by Dr. Manjunath L Ramarajapalli 6 hours later

From what I understand Subtotal hysterectomy (STH) was done for fibroid uterus. However spotting and then bleeding started and is persisting for the last 11 months.

This means the remaining part of uterus after STH is responding to hormones every month. Besides that any local causes found in the remaining part of the uterus might be the cause. I am unable to name a close possibility without an opportunity to examine you. Therefore I suggest you to consult a gynecologist and have speculum & pelvic examination. An ultrasound to assess any abnormality in the remaining part of uterus is also entailed.

We can be able to treat you when the cause is found.

Hope this helps. Let me know if you need further assistance.

Good luck