Torturous esophagus found in endoscopy. Have occasional mild ache under breastbone. Cure ?

i have a torturous esophagus found in an endoscopy yesterday. Everything else is normal. I'm 77 and male.. what medicine can cure it, or keep it stable or getting worse. My symptom is some occasional mild ache under my breastbone. The doctor has put me on a regiman of Nexium and Carafate.Can this disorder disappear, or remain stable.

how long does the healing take, or is this a chronic disorder that I have to attend to at times
Posted Tue, 22 May 2012 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Poorna Chandra K.S 17 hours later
Hi and thanks for the query
The tortuous esophagus is a marker of dysmotility and age related laxity. This is a structural change and cannot be reversed. The functional aspect of this is in the form of difficult in swallowing and heartburn.
This can be managed with nexsium and prokinetics like itopride or cinatapride
Hope this answers your query
Dr Poonachandra