Torn frenulum, keeping it clean. Will keeping the foreskin over the wound make it more dirty?

I just need a little more reassurance on my torn frenulum. dr. XXXXXXX had already indicated some steps on how to treat it and keep it clean. I just had a few more questions.

hello Dr XXXXXXX my name is XXXXXXX you were assisting me with regards to the torn frenulum. I am assuming you can go back to the questions? I hope I do not have to start the whole process over? I am following your steps to keep the area clean... it has been about 24 hours since the tear. I just want to make it clear that you said to keep the foreskin over it this wound/ gland? will this not keep the area more dirty? also the bleeding keeps occurring is it going to happen for a while?

thank you I am just feel panicked a little
Posted Fri, 14 Jun 2013 in Mental Health
Answered by Dr. Jonas Sundarakumar 14 hours later

Yes, it is a better idea to keep the foreskin covered because if left retracted, there is a chance that the wound area can rub against underclothing or the torn frenulum can get get tugged or stretched accidentally during movements, thereby causing more injury or bleeding. Don't worry about contamination because you are washing with an antiseptic solution as well as applying an antibiotic ointment.

The bleeding should normally stop completely within a day or two. Whenever you wash the area with the antiseptic solution or whenever you apply the ointment, be cautious to do it gently without strain to the frenulum (as this may aggravate the bleeding).

Dr. Jonas Sundarakumar
Consultant Psychiatrist & Sexologist