Torn Medial collateral ligament, meniscus repair, weak and painful knee. Suggest treatment, advise?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
i torn my MCL and meniscus 2 yrs ago playing soccer. (MRI confirmed). Was in a leg brace for 4 weeks. Seen a surgeon and he was not prepaired to operate as the meniscus repair was boarderline in terms of requiring surgery. I continue to play soccer. I have not hurt my knee but after a game 2 days ago my knee became painful (as per normal every week). Now when i walk my leg feels very week and unstable and i have shooting pain down my tibia when using stairs and hurts to touch the top of the tibia. There is no bruising or swelling. I am female and 22
Posted Tue, 22 May 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 2 hours later
From your description it seems that you have now developed an inflammation around the knee joint. Such inflammatory changes are commonly seen when there is a history of injury.
Usually such minor inflammation subsides on its own after giving adequate rest to the knee joint and taking anti inflammatory medicines.
In some cases for acute problem muscle relaxants like thiocolchicoside are needed after consulting with your orthopaedician.
If still there is no relief then oral steroids and oral lubricating agents like glucosamine sulfate and chondroitin are given. Injections - intra- articular are the last options to be considered if all the above measures fail.
In the meanwhile, for symptomatic relief:
1. Give enough rest to your knee- use a knee brace.
2. Take mild pain killers like acetaminophen or ibuprofen.
3. Stronger prescription NSAIDS with muscle relaxants may help if simple analgesics do not help.
4. Hot compresses to your knee will be useful pain relieving measure. You may apply a local analgesic gel on that area.
5. calf and hamstring stretches can be helpful under the guidance of a physiotherapist after the acute pain subsides completely.

I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.