Torn ACL,donor tissue,stiff knee,inflammation

2 1/2 years ago I tore my ACL and had it reconstructed using donor tissue. Healed fine, and did all PT. Knee was about 90% what it used to be which was what we expected. Two days ago did some pretty active dancing and now that knee is stiff and I can't straighten it all the way. Obviosly I should see Dr. but does this sound like serious injury or just some soreness and inflammation that will subside?
Posted Mon, 16 Apr 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Deepak Anvekar 7 hours later

Thanks for the query,

The description of your symptoms appear to be due to locking of the knee joint, possibly due to spasm of some of the muscles or some debris within the knee joint.

This should slowly subside with hot fomentation, proper relaxation and regular exercises to improve mobility of the joint.

In case, It does not subside on its own or it is associated with severe pain, and swelling around the joint it could indicate a tear of one of the ligaments within the knee joint.

You might benefit by consulting your orthopedician who can examine you , and order a Knee MRI to know the exact cause and provide the proper treatment for it.

I hope this helps.

Dr Anvekar.