Torn ACL in knee. Knee replacement to be done. Noticed hard bumps with white centre under knee. What is this?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
I have a torn ACL in my right knee. I am to go and get a knee replacement but have been putting it off because my leg muscles above are weak. So, I joined Aqua Fit and Friday night July 6th, I noticed a hard substance under my about the size of a golf ball and the centre is white. Hurts like hell, when I walk or on my feet for long time. I went to the doctor on July 9th and he proscribed antibotics for me. I just would like to know what this is.
Posted Tue, 31 Jul 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 2 hours later
From your description it seems that you have a hematoma formation in the area due to the stress of exercising.
A direct examination is needed to further confirm the diagnosis.
A good close up picture will be very much appreciated. You may attach a pic using the "upload your reports" feature on the query page-left hand side.
In case the swelling is due to a hematoma, then it is likely to resolve spontaneously over weeks. Avoid doing any exercise meanwhile. Doing a cold compress in the area will be helpful.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.
Follow-up: Torn ACL in knee. Knee replacement to be done. Noticed hard bumps with white centre under knee. What is this? 10 hours later
What sort of exercise can I do, Aqua Fit is good for me, but maybe I go easy on the leg exercises because I really pushed myself on July 5th.
Are the antibotics going to help this condition.
Thanks for writing again.
Antibiotics will help in preventing the infection in the area. Do not indulge in any heavy exercise during the time of pain.
Passive stretching exercises of hamstrings under the care of a physiotherapist will be helpful.
Hope my answer is helpful.
Do accept my answer in case there are no further queries.