Tore a tendon behind left knee cap. Hurts while bending. Took advil and tylenol. What should I do?

A month ago I was playing basketball and I landed on my leg wrong. I tore a tendon behind my left knee cap. It's been a month and when I straighten my leg it feels fine but when I bend it, it hurst a little bit. I've taken Motrin, Tylenol, Advil and an icepack and still has not gotten better. What should I do?
Posted Wed, 15 Aug 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 1 hour later

This is a typical presentation in a ligament injury (Anterior cruciate ligament), it does cause pain on bending the knee and climbing up the stairs.

Do stop Mortin or any pain killer medication as they are of not much help.

You have to wind the knee joint with a CREPE bandage tightly so as to cause immobilization.This will help in healing of the ligament and relieve you from pain.

If the pain persists even after 2 weeks of crepe bandage then you may need to be examined by an Orthopaedecian and managed accordingly.

Hope I answered your query.

Wish you good health.