Topical acne treatment,whiteheads,large cysts.Ayurvedic treatment?

i have been on topical acne treatment: differin gel 0.3% for 8 days now to get rid of my tiny whiteheads on my chin but instead the differin gel has turned my whiteheads into large cysts! i have been on accutane twice already. Is there is some ayurvedic XXXXXXX formula i can take to get rid of the cysts? i don't want to have to go on antibiotics again :(
Posted Tue, 1 May 2012 in Ayurveda
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 2 hours later

Differin gel is a well known treatment for acne. The use of this gel has not caused the conversion of your white heads into large cysts. It is rather because of the inadequate treatment that you have received that the whiteheads have progressed into cystic acne.

Acne in females needs a complete work up and there are many reasons why one gets acne.One can get acne at any age ,even an infant can have acne .

It is multifactorial ,and therefore one has to find the exact cause of it.

It can be either due to wrong use of soaps or moisturizers to any fairness creams which one is using , to hormonal disturbances if anybody has (especially in females). So,a complete work up is necessary in all patients.Also one should remember that its not a short course treatment,but a matter of say 6 months or so if pimples are severe .

If you have other features of hormonal acne like irregular periods , facial hair,scalp hair loss, weight gain,acne over chin & jaw line , aggravation of acne two days prior to periods , then I would suggest you to go for certain hormonal assessment tests like Serum Testosteron,LH/FSH ratio, DHEA-S etc along with a lower abdomen ultra sound .This is to rule out PCOD( poly-cystic ovary disease) or a adrenal cause of acne.

Apart from the cause treatment also depends upon the grade of acne one has.As you mentioned your acne starts with a whitehead and then gradually lead to a cyst,this I would say as a cystic variety. You definitely need an aggressive treatment for this.

General measures like intake of 7-10 glasses of water daily ,avoidance of all cosmetics , good 7 hr sleep in night should also be maintained for good and faster results.

Regarding the ayurvedic treatments, there are some blood purifiers that are preferred and an ayurveda specialist can prescribe you after proper examination.You can use Himalaya Clarina Anti acne cream and Himalaya Neem Capsules for antibacterial and antifungal properties.

I would advise you to consult a good dermatologist also who can asses your case and treat you effectively simultaneously.

Hope I have answered your query, but if you have any further questions ,you can write back to us .I'll be happy to answer them.