Top of ears covered in small blisters, filled with yellow pus, soreness. Treatment ?

Hi! My 12 year old has just pointed out to me that the tops of her ears are covered in blisters! They are small enough and filled with yellow puss. She has not got any other symptoms but she says the blisters are quite sore. It is definitely not sunburn as we live in Ireland!!!!!!
Posted Sat, 14 Apr 2012 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 2 hours later

The description that you have given is suggestive of either of the two conditions-

1.Boils - These are caused by infection of the hair follicle by 'Staphylococcus aureus'. A boil generally starts as a reddened, tender area. Over time, the area becomes firm and hard. Eventually, the center of the abscess softens and becomes filled with pus. In size it is larger than a folliculitis.

2.Another skin condition which may cause bumps on the edges of ear lobes is impetigo caused by Streptococcus (strep) or Staphylococcus (staph) bacteria. It presents as a single or many blisters filled with pus which are easy to pop, filled with yellow or honey-colored fluid and oozing and crusting over.

To confirm the diagnosis, we need to do a culture sensitivity of the discharge from the bump. If it is folliculitis, impetigo or boils, it will come out positive on bacterial cultures.

For treatment, broad spectrum antibiotics are needed to be prescribed by your physician according to culture and sensitivity report of the fluid. Hence I encourage you to consult a doctor to get medications prescribed.

I hope my answer and recommendations are adequate and helpful. Waiting for your further follow ups if any.