Top of ear swollen and tender, painful. Looking for an OTC medicine

About three days ago I noticed the very top of my right ear was tender and a bit swollen. There was a bit of swelling and seemed like a bit of fluid like a pimple had not surfaced. I tried warm water and a towel to help last night and tried to pop it with a needle. It seems as if the swelling has gotten a little worse, but the pain is not any worse. Was thinking that squeezing and pushing on it last night had made the swelling worse today. I have no allergies that I am aware of, no injury that I can remember, and I do not think I have been bitten anywhere. I am confused and am looking for an OTC remedy before going to see a doctor.
Posted Tue, 18 Sep 2012 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Sudhir 5 hours later

In view of details it looks like that you have local skin infection, which is still in early stage.You can give a try to local antibiotic cream.

If it increases or there is obvious pus formation, then you might need oral antibiotics.

Hope this answers your question.