Ask a Dentist   »  

Top molar is a baby tooth. Gums around the tooth is inflamed. What to do?

Hi, I am a 19yo male and my 3rd top molar on my left is a baby tooth still. No tooth to push it out so it has stayed. The dentist told me it would stay as long as it is okay. My dad still has his baby tooth in the same spot on the opposite side. Recently the gum around the tooth has become inflamed. I am wondering what may have caused this, I have tried flossing to see if there was anything irritating it and no change.
Posted Wed, 30 Oct 2013 in Dental Health
Answered by Dr. Gunjan Gupta 21 minutes later
Hello there,

If the retained primary tooth is not troubling you it does not need treatment.

Inflamed gums around the tooth indication either deposits or infection. If the inflammatory features are not severe - swollen gums/pain/fever, I suggest you try the following:
1. Maintain good oral hygiene,
2. Brush twice daily,
3. Perform mouth rinses twice daily after brushing your teeth for 15 days.
If you have any pain apply mucopain/dologel over the affected area.

You will need further treatment if inflammatory features worsen (as described above). So keep me posted.

Hope this will be helpful,if you have further any problem,feel free to ask.

Take Care.

Dr. Gunjan Gupta