Toothache, headache, sinus inflammation, blood tests normal, diagnosed with depression, taking cymbalta. Cause?

Psychiatrist
Question
My teeth have been hurting but my dentist says there is no cause for it that it may be my heart. I have had tests run, blood work, etc., but again no cause. I have gone to an ENT specialist and yes there is some inflammations of my sinuses but not enough to cause the headaches and horrible toothaches. She, the ENT, suggested that I see a psychiatrist. There I received a diagnosis of depression. Because of this I have been placed on temporary disability and have been given drug therapy of 60mg of cymbalta. The pain seems to have greatly improved, however, whenever I talk about my job or see the number where one of my co-workers have called the pain returns. Although I am experiencing this, it still seems abnormal to me. Am I losing my mind?
Posted Mon, 7 May 2012 in Mental Health

Answered by Dr. Susanta Padhy 27 hours later
Hi XXXXXXX

Thanks for posting the query.

1. Headache can be caused by depression.

2. Toothache is not possible to be caused by psychiatric illness unless it is accompanied by delusions or other psychotic psychiatric symptoms, which is perhaps excluded by your Psychiatrist.

3. However, toothache can be aggravated in the state of depression or by some particular personality types.

4. Sinusitis is very well known be a cause of headache.

5. Cymbalta is an antidepressant that contains Duloxetine that is usually prescribed for depression with headache and pain symptoms. As you are improving with it, better not to discontinue the drugs without consulting your treating Psychiatrist.

7. Near complete recovery usually takes few months for such cases.

Hope I answered your query. Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.