Ask a Dentist   »  

Tooth infection,swollen gum,unable to eat. Medication ?

ENT Specialist
My son is 15 and has an infected tooth. He said a filling fell out of his molar a while ago and his gum is now very swollen. He said he can wiggle the tooth and that he cannot eat on that side of his mouth. I have no insurance to take him to the doctor and know he needs antibiotics, but which one and how much? He is 152 and 5'9"
Posted Thu, 26 Apr 2012 in Dental Health
Answered by Dr. Naveen Kumar 1 hour later

Thanks for the query

Infections involving the tooth and its surrounding region are always associated with tremendous pain. If the tooth is loose it would be better to get it removed, antibiotics will be helpful in controlling the infection and anti-inflammatory medicines are required to reduce the inflammation and the swelling of the gingiva (gum).

Ideally, we are not supposed to prescribe the medicines over the net. Today’s research indicates that a move toward individualizing the dosing of prescription agents is warranted and it can happen only after physical consultation. You can continue with the anti-inflammatory medicine Ibuprofen 400 mg 2-3 times a day. Povidone iodine mouth washes after food and consult your regular treating doctor who can examine an prescribe appropriate antibiotics.

Hope I have answered your query; I will be available for the follow-up queries.

Dr. Naveen Kumar N.
Follow-up: Tooth infection,swollen gum,unable to eat. Medication ? 8 hours later
I cannot take him to a doctor at this time. I am not asking for a prescription only which antibiotic is recommended for an infected tooth, and what is an appropriate dosage for his size. I have some antibiotics available and want to know which one to give him. No dentist will treat him until the infection is gone.
Answered by Dr. Naveen Kumar 14 hours later

Welcome back

The most preferred and one of the best antibiotic (Combination of Amoxycillin and Clavulanic acid). I am sorry I cannot mention the trade name as it amounts to endorsement of that product. Continue giving anti-inflammatory drugs.

Yes, you are right, doctors are not going to extract the tooth until the infection subsides or in the extreme of the cases they can extract it under the antibiotic cover.

Dr. Naveen Kumar N.