Ask a Dentist   »  

Tooth extracted, from front on lower jaw, dizziness. Treatment ?

hello i am 52 yrs old got the tooth extracted( not a wizdom tooth) for the first time in my life and two or three days after the extraction i have been expirincing dizziness do you think the tooth extraction might have anything to do with it ? ( the tooth extracted was the 5th on from the front on the lower jaw)
Posted Thu, 12 Apr 2012 in Dental Health
Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 2 hours later

The answer to the question is that most certainly - a tooth extraction can trigger difficulty with dizziness. The reason is that the ear, nose, throat and teeth are intimately connected.

In this setting the nerves which deliver sensation and pain to the teeth are disturbed and inflamed. When this happens it can also disturb nerves which affect the inner ear. The inner ear controls balance and when it's disturbed it can cause dizziness.

I am confident the dizziness will resolve over time with the raking process after your tooth extraction.

For now I recommend you maintain good hydration and consider maintaing steady doses of anti-inflammatory doses of ibuprofen. This will also help the healing process.

I thank you again for the query. I hope my answer has been helpful and informative. If there are any additional concerns I would be happy to address them.

Dr. Galamaga