Ask a Dentist   »  

Tooth extracted. Having sore jaw and feeling sand in eye. What are the complications?

I had a tooth extracted 6 days ago. It wa on the upper right side. The dentist hit a vein with the anesthetic (no epi) which shot up to the eye. Since shortly after that, I have had the feeling of sand in that eye. When I touch the area just above that eye (under brow) it feels weird, almost like "tickling". That side of my face and jaw were quite sore but are better now. Asked dental assistant but she didn't think it correlated. I had my friend, a PA check it out she said everything was good. She used flourescent drops and found no scratches. Cornea looked great. She said one dilated vein which could cause it , probably from allergy or irritation from extraction. I have had a lot of eye burning off and on for a long time. Drops aren't helping. I had a retinal tear repair in that eye 18 mos ago. My friend said its not that but said doesn't seem serious but to check with eye doctor if it continues. Want some more input. I worry alot about health and pretty worried now.
Posted Wed, 15 Aug 2012 in Dental Health
Answered by Dr. N. K. Misra 52 minutes later
Thanks for sending your query to us.
The anaesthetic during your extraction of tooth did not reach any where near the eye.Once the upper root is anaesthatized the surrounding area may also be effected but that will give rise to a level of numbness in that region.
Sand like irritation in the eye can be due to dryness of the eye which is not related to tooth extraction.For that lubricant drops are useful.
Since your retinal tear has been repaired,the retinal surgeon may be contacted for regular follow up.
The tickeling and soreness that you rightly described are those differences in sensation which take a while to go away completely,for that you do not have to worry at all.
Please do get back to me in case of any difficulty.