Ask a Dentist   »  

Tooth and jaw pain, used paste for relief. Suggest proper medication

Dentist, Prosthodontics
I am having tooth pain on the right hand side. The pain sometimes will be in the lower jaw and sometimes in the upper jaw. In the lower jaw the pain sometimes will be in the very last teeth and sometimes will be the teeth before it. I consulted one dentist and he has given some kind of paste to rub over the paining teeth (not to brush) to get the relief. I used it for 10 days, but after stopping using the paste, the pain started again. Please can suggest proper medication for this.
Posted Thu, 27 Sep 2012 in Dental Health
Answered by Dr. Shivangi Gajwani Jain 27 minutes later

First, after reading your symptoms I feel that it is not just the tooth pain but the pain may also be in your gums. There are two possibilities that can happen:

1. The enamel on your back teeth has abraded due to either acidity or harsh brushing on the particular side, which is causing pain. This pain should also occur on drinking cold water and subsides (a little) by applying ointments containing fluoride. However, you may require the placement of a desensitizing agent or in office fluoride treatment by the dentist if the problem persists.

2. Sometimes due to food lodgment in pockets between gums and tooth tartar is formed and causes irritation and pain resulting in diffuse pain, which is not specific to any one region. I would recommend you to visit your dentist for an examination and he may do a good clean up (scaling and polishing) to remove the offending dirt from the mouth making you more comfortable.

Meanwhile, you should do warm saline gargles 3-4 times/day along with usage of a good mouthwash twice daily. If it’s the tartar causing problems, then the pain should completely subside after a thorough clean up.

If you have any more queries, I will be happy to help.