Ask a Dentist   »  

Tooth abscess, outer part of cheek, lower part of nose swollen. Antibiotics to be taken?

having tooth abscess .... from yesterday night , outer part of cheek between eye and lower part of the nose swollen, no severe pain.... please suggest an antibiotics for me ......
Posted Fri, 7 Jun 2013 in Dental Health
Answered by Dr. Ashu Gupta 33 minutes later

Thanks for writing to WWW.WWWW.WW and asking your query.

You mention that your 'outer part of cheek between eye and lower part of nose is swollen' and that this could be due to a 'tooth abscess'.

Such a swelling could be also due to periodontal disease (gum disease) or bone/maxillary disease.

Please remember that the extent of disease and swelling will determine whether the 'abscess' will respond to an antibiotic or not. Many times a big abscess will have so much pus that antibiotics will not be effective. In such a situation, draining the abscess is the recommended treatment. It may cause a few moments of pain but will result in long lasting and sustained recovery.

An analgesic/anti-inflammatory will also be helpful, along with an antibiotic.

The professional norms of practicing Dentistry as well as the terms and conditions of this website, prevent and prohibit me from prescribing any medicines to you without a proper examination and evaluation. You may find it frustrating, but it is aimed at protecting the interests of the general public and keeping the principle of 'Safety First' as our guiding principle.

I strongly recommend visiting the nearby Dental Surgeon/Dentist for a full examination and prescription of required medicines.

I hope I have satisfactorily addressed your concern.

My best wishes.

Dr (Mrs) Ashu Gupta