Took zoloft pill. Now having severe burning sensation in back of throat, numbness on lip

ENT Specialist
Question
I took my 1/2 tab Zoloft pill this pm & went to bed. Woke up 1 hour later with severe burning in back of throat with some lip numbness. Zoloft pill stuck? Is burning what would happen? Thanks
Posted Fri, 19 Apr 2013 in Medicines and Side Effects

Answered by Dr. A.K. Srivastava 4 hours later
Hello

Thanks for writing to H.C.M. for your query.

I have gone through your query as you said That after taking half tab of zoloft pill you went to bed and after one hour you developed severe burning in back of throat and numbness in lip.

After thinking about tab and there co-relation with symptoms it appears most likely your tab remain stucn in throat for some time and thus it creates some irritation in throat along with some allergic reaction as well. Irritation is menifested as severe burning in throat and numbness in lips is an allergic reaction.

To get relief now you may do gargling with plain water and take some antacid to get relief in throat from burning.

Regards.

Follow-up: Took zoloft pill. Now having severe burning sensation in back of throat, numbness on lip 2 hours later
Does this mean I'm allergic to the Zoloft pill?

Answered by Dr. A.K. Srivastava 3 hours later
Hello

Welcome again in H.C.M.for reconsultation about query.

As per symptoms developed after one hour of taking Zoloft pill like NUMBNESS on your lips indicates allergic menifestation. Therefore you are supposed to be allergic to Zoloft pills.Please take care of.

Regards.