Took zithromax for sinus infection. Why i am having pressure in head and ears?

ENT Specialist
I flew one week ago with what I now think was a sinus infection. My head became clogged, as well as my ears. Did not feel well. Had cough, sore throat ,yellow mucous. After one dose of zithromax felt a lot better. But now after almost done with the course of azithromax still have pressure in head and ears, especially the left. No more yellow discharge, it is now clear and I do not feel as ill as I did. Could it just now be a blocked eustacian tube? What to do?
Posted Sun, 6 Jan 2013 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Naveen Kumar 2 hours later

Thanks for posting the query

Thanks for the query

After going through your description I do feel you are suffering from acute sinusitis.

During an nose gets congested, because of which there will be blockage of the sinus opening leading to stagnation of the secretions in the sinus and increased viscosity. Stagnation of the secretions gives rise to headache and nasal infection. When the infected secretions trickle down into the throat it can cause irritation of the throat, followed by cough and difficulty in swallowing.

During the episodes of acute infection there will be associated fever, headache, cough, throat pain, difficulty in breathing, etc. Secondly, you should never fly whenever there is an upper respiratory tract infection, because all the inner lining of the nose and the paranasal sinuses will be congested and the openings blocked. This blockage will hinder in the process of effective equalization of the pressure during take-off and landing. Following which there can be Eustachian tube block causing earache and paranasal sinuses block giving rise to facial pain and headache.

Meanwhile you can try the following:
1. Drink plenty of warm water – this helps in improving the blood circulation, keeping the mucosa moist and relief from pain
2. Try taking anti-inflammatory medicines such as diclofenac or ibuprofen for the relief of pain.
3. Use saline nasal spray followed by steam inhalation 3-4 times a day - this helps in removing the thick secretions from the sinuses and thus reduces the nasal block.
4. A mucolytic such as bromhexine or ambroxol will be beneficial in reducing the consistency of the sinus secretions and effective clearing of the sinuses.
5. If the symptoms do not improve, request your doctor to get a CT scan of the paranasal sinuses done.
6. Also, avoid smoking/chilled food & beverages/alcohol/coffee till you recover.

Hope I have answered your queries; I will be available for the follow-up queries.

Dr. Naveen Kumar N.
ENT and Head & Neck Surgeon
Follow-up: Took zithromax for sinus infection. Why i am having pressure in head and ears? 3 hours later
The course of the z pak is on day 8. I was feeling better but now worse. Head is clogged. If I take augmentin I am allergic to yeast medications locally and diflucan causes a resistant yeast yeast. So will have to take sporonax with it. Very nervous about this. should i wait and take the sporonax after the course is over or with the augmenting. They said to take it 2 pills a day each week . Very sick and anxious, thanks
Answered by Dr. Naveen Kumar 45 minutes later

Thanks for writing back

Z-pack is meant for 3-5 days and not for 8 days. Augmentin or Cefuroxime is the drug of choice for treating sinus infections.

My advice to you is to stop Z-pack first, no need of taking any other antibiotics at present and to follow the measures as mentioned in my previous response. Do not worry! You will be definitely alright without antibiotics if you follow the above measures.

I wish you good health.

Dr. Naveen Kumar N.
ENT and Head & Neck Surgeon