Took zithromax and levaquin for a sinus infection. Not cured. Any alternate treatment?

ENT Specialist
My sister tried Zithromax for a sinus infection and now has been prescribed Levaquin. This seems to be a drug that causes many people serious side effects. Are there other alternative treatments for sinus infection?
Posted Sat, 9 Mar 2013 in Infections
Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 2 hours later

Thank you for your query.

1. If she is not sensitive to penicillin, Augmentin (Amoxicillin + Clavulanic Acid) 625 mg twice a day for 5-7 days will be the first drug of choice. In patients with penicillin sensitivity, Zithromax (Azithromycin) is often used. With Augmentin, any diarrhea, skin rashes and liver dysfunction should be monitored.

2. Levaquin (Levofloxacin) is also a good antibiotic to add for resistant sinus infections, however it has many side effects and should be used with caution in the elderly.

3. Supportive medication such as anti-inflammatory, anti-allergics, decongestants, mucolytics and steam inhalation help in speeding up recovery.

4. If the infection is not responding, it may be viral. Nasal swab cultures, nasal endoscopy and imaging to check for fungal infections may be required.

5. How long is the duration of her sinusitis? Is this the first attack or have there been previous episodes? Is there any fever, nasal discharge or sinus tenderness/ headache?

I hope I have answered your query. Please reply back with the answers and I will be able to help you further.