Took xanax with whiskey. Started getting panic attack and vomiting. Should I be worried?

Dec 2014

Hello, I had dinner then an hour later had a glass of whiskey (and 7up) with fries and then one hour later took a .5mg xanax because I started to feel a panic attack. After taking the xanax I realized I shouldn't have since I drank and so within a 10 minute window I threw up as much as I could. I have been reading online that the two are a deadly combination. Will I be ok?
Posted Sat, 20 Apr 2013 in Drug Abuse
Answered by Dr. Seikhoo Bishnoi 10 minutes later
Welcome to Health Care Magic

It is true that if Xanax is taken with alcohol, the combination may cause CNS as well as respiratory depression. As you took one glass of whiskey and one xanax 0.5 mg so there is a risk of CNS depression. But at this dose the serious complications are not common. Still if you are having some symptoms like sleepiness, slowness of thinking, confusion, giddiness etc. then visit your nearest psychiatrist. But if you are alright and have no symptoms except mild sedation then there is no need to worry because you have also thrown after ten minutes.
You will be ok don't take undue stress.

If you have more questions you can ask again in follow up.

Dr. Seikhoo Bishnoi, MD
(Consultant Psychiatrist)
Follow-up: Took xanax with whiskey. Started getting panic attack and vomiting. Should I be worried? 4 minutes later
Thank you for your response - I am trying to rethink the timeline and I am not sure how long after I took it that I threw up - how much does that change things? What could my psychiatrist do?
Answered by Dr. Seikhoo Bishnoi 9 minutes later
Hello again

In normal cases xanax or alprazolam takes about 1-2 hours to get absorbed in stomach and peak concentration in blood reached in about 2 hours. But you have thrown out it in ten minutes so there is very less chances of toxic side effect.

If excessive sedation, confusion and other symptoms observed then Psychiatrist can give symptomatic treatment and can give antidote. (But 0.5 mg dose is a minimal dose there is no risk at all)

Dr. Seikhoo Bishnoi, MD