Took xanax, heart was thumping hard and little anxiety. Can I take another xanax?

Apr 2013

General Surgeon
i took one .25 xanax at 5am, which helped me little, but my heart was still thumping hard and i still felt a little anxiety. I took another at 10am, and my heart still seems to be thumping. Is it ok to take another now(12:50pm)?
Posted Mon, 1 Jul 2013 in Mental Health
Answered by Dr. Ivan R. Rommstein 15 minutes later
Hi and welcome to XXXXXXX

Thank you for your query.

Since this is low dose Xanax you can take it now again. Even .5mg xanax can be taken 3-4 times daily for mild anxiety disorders, but your daily dose shouldn't exceed 2mg.

Every 6 hours is optimal interval, but anyway, don't take it too frequently. It may not have effect on heart palpitation if these palpitations(thumping) aren't caused by emotional stress or anxiety.

Better try to rest in dark and peaceful room, drink enough liquids and eat easier food. Also, in your case, benzodiazepines would maybe be better solution so if your difficulties persist for more 48 hours consult your doctor about it.

Wish you good health.