Took unwanted 72 after protected sex. Will this cause any effect on next period?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Mar 2016
Mar 2016

OBGYN
Question
Hi..i had protected sex using condom with my bf yesterday,i had no bleeding & just within an hour i took unwanted 72 tablet,my bf took out his penis just before ejaculation.My period date is 25th feb.Just need to know,by how many days will my periods be delayed now?My periods sometimes start 1 week in advance as my menstrual cycle is of 25-26days.
Posted Tue, 19 Mar 2013 in Women's Health

Answered by Dr. S Patra 1 hour later
Hello XXXXXXX

Thanks for writing to us. I am happy to help you regarding your problem.

First of all, you did protected sex with using condom and took unwanted 72 emergency contraceptive pill as an extra protection. Another thing, your boy friend withdrew his penis before ejaculation. So, there is no chance of pregnancy at all.

Now, as you took unwanted 72 pill, then you will get a withdrawal bleeding (similar to period) within 7-10 days. Next cycle may be earlier or delayed due to effect of the pill associated with hormonal imbalance. It is generally seen that period is delayed by 7-10 days after taking the pill. If you get missed period more than 10 days, then you may need to consult with gynecologist for further investigation.

The following measures are helpful to get period in time:

1) Take healthy diet with more vegetables (carotene based) & iron supplements.
2) Drink plenty of fluids/water & eat more fresh fruits. Avoid spicy/ junk/ salty foods.
3) Control body weight by regular physical exercise. Keep bowel habit regular.
4) Avoid stress by doing yoga/ XXXXXXX breathing regularly (20-30 times).
5) Maintain personal hygiene & need adequate sleeping with complete relaxation.

Hope I have answered your query. If you have any further questions I will be happy to help.

Wish your good health & take care yourself. Also, practice safe sex in future to avoid unwanted pregnancy.

Dr Soumen.

Follow-up: Took unwanted 72 after protected sex. Will this cause any effect on next period? 43 hours later
Is there anything to worry regarding side affects of the medicine i took or regarding any sign of pregnancy?

Answered by Dr. S Patra 34 minutes later
Hello XXXXXXX

Thanks for follow up query.

There are some side effects of unwanted 72 but those are well tolerable in most of the cases. These include irregular menstrual bleeding, nausea/ vomiting, weight gain, headaches, dizziness, breast tenderness, mood swing etc.

In above type of sexual activity, there is no chance of pregnancy at all literally. Just you wait for your upcoming period. Don't be much worried/ tensed as it may effect your menstrual cycle to get it in time.

If you do not have any clarifications, you can close the discussion and rate the answer.

Be well & stay healthy.

Dr Soumen.

Follow-up: Took unwanted 72 after protected sex. Will this cause any effect on next period? 3 days later
As suggested by you,i am waiting for my periods.My period date was today ie 25th,still not got periods.Today,i got very minimal brown discharge from my vagina.Just want to know is it a symptom that my periods will start soon or is it due to pill taken for first time.Is there anything to worry doctor.Kindly advise?

Answered by Dr. S Patra 2 hours later
Hello XXXXXXX

Thanks for follow up query. I am happy to help you.

Brown discharge is withdrawal bleeding (similar to period) due to effect of the emergency pill. It is quite common & normal thing. As your expected due date was 25th February, then withdrawal bleeding may coincide with your normal period. It may indicate to get period shortly. Therefore, at least one week waiting is ideal in this case. You don't need to be much worried. Just follow my suggestive measures to stay healthy & get period in time.

Take care yourself & feel free to ask any further query.

Dr Soumen

Follow-up: Took unwanted 72 after protected sex. Will this cause any effect on next period? 40 hours later
Thank a lot Dr.Soumen for your timely words & support.My regular periods started today.
GOD Bless!
Your inspiration mattered a lot to me.

Answered by Dr. S Patra 10 minutes later
Hello XXXXXXX

You are most welcome in our XXXXXXX platform.

It is very good news to hear that you get your period in time. Always keep good faith and spirit with yourself.

You can directly consult with me in future by visiting my profile on WWW.WWWW.WW
Now you can close the discussion and rate the answer.

Be well & stay healthy. Take care yourself.

Dr Soumen