Took treatment for genital warts. Not cured completely. How to remove this completely?

Oncologist, Surgical
Question
Hi there, my son has been diagnosed with genital warts. We has had 3 burning treatments and on check up we was told he still has small warts remaining. He is very depressed and I want to know will this HPV eventually go or does he continually need the rectal procedure . They are internally also around his rectum Can you give me some info on support groups or phone numbers in the NYC region

Posted Wed, 24 Apr 2013 in Infections

Answered by Dr. Rohan Khandelwal 4 hours later
Dear Sir,

Sorry to hear about your son's problem. Genital warts can be a distressing condition and the problem is that they tend to recur. Nowadays there are vaccines to prevent these warts but in your son's case because he has already had them, I dont think the vaccine will work.
He will require some procedures to remove the warts and will regularly need to follow up on them. I dont mean to scare you but a long term complication of these warts is anal cancer and that is why he will require regular monitoring.
hpv.meetup.com/ - this website will be able to help you find a support group around your place.

Please feel free to clarify any other query.

Follow-up: Took treatment for genital warts. Not cured completely. How to remove this completely? 9 hours later
Is there a certain procedure that works better than others or is there a strong cream that you recommend

Answered by Dr. Rohan Khandelwal 3 hours later
Dear Sir,

The treatment would involve a combination of the surgical procedure and cream. This will be followed by regular monitoring for new lesions.