Took treatment for chronic prostatis, persisting pelvic pain, urinary discomfort. Partner has vaginal discomfort. Possible causes?

Jul 2016

i have dealt with what doctor's inititally said was chronic prostatitis for 7 months now (i thought inititally it was a UTI - bladder, urethra burning). i took doxycycline for 2 weeks, then ciproflaxin for almost 3 weeks, then went to a urologist who put me on septra. i quit taking the septra after about 10 days - felt a little worse while taking that. since then i have done alot of reading and look at this as a pelvic pain condition so have been doing pelvic floor physical therapy for about a month - no improvements yet. still have discomfort after urinating, hate sitting very long - rectal discomfort, and sacrum area is irritated. i do have a few lower lumbar bulged discs... To add to all this, my wife has complained of burning discomfort in her vagina. she went and got tested and they found gardnerella. well after doing a few self medications she went back about 2 months later and tests showed nothing. but now her pain and sensitivity is at the entrance of vagina. she says coloring is different and it appears swollen. Her gyno had no answers. She told her dr about my issues too and wondered if they were related. Her initial symptoms are within a week or two of my initial symptoms. We both got tests done for STDs, standard urine test indicated nothing, and she even got tested for herpes which was negative. We dont know where to go from here. the discomfort is everyday and varies in severity. i feel best when up moving around or laying down. She wears loose fitting clothes and is also doing stretching exercises for problem. she thinks it might be vulvadynia....
Posted Wed, 22 May 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. P. T. Patil 8 hours later
Thanks for your query.Based on the facts that you have posted it appears that you have chronic Prostatitis since 7 years.and have been taking antibiotics intermittently for same .

Your wife has also acquired infection through sexual intercourse.

I Assume that the diagnosis of Chronic Prostatitis has been confirmed after you have undergone basic investigations like Ultrasound scanning ,Urine culture ,tests for STD,and opinion of qualified Urologist .

Chronic prostatitis is very difficult to get eradicated completely and long time to get cured as bacterial flora change their nature very frequently.

I would suggest you to get culture and sensitivity of a drop of discharge ( fluid) obtained after doing prostatic massage to find out the organisms responsible for this infection and antibiotics to which they are sensitive to.So that you can take appropriate antibiotic to combat infection.This can be obtained by doing prostatic massage for which you may have to take help of your family Physician.

Regular prostatic massage will help to some extent .(This is what I practice routinely in my practice for my patients since many years and getting satisfactory results) This can be done at home with the help of your partner.
Both of you have to take treatment simultaneously under observation of a qualified Urologist.

Hope I have answered your query.
Please feel free to ask if you have any more questions I shall be happy to help you.
Thanks with Regards.