Took treatment for acne problem. Now again getting acne on face. Can I continue previous treatment?

I had acne problem 3 years back but I got treatment for it and now from last 3 years I had the clear skin. But now from last few weeks I am again facing this problem. I have my previous prescription:
1) Azifine 250 tablet
2) cap Aczit 20
3) Cap cuteE 400
4) Benzer 2.5 ml
5) Adefenin gel
but also the other time to time modifications in the treatment.
Can I continue with this prescription or I need to do something else?
or please deal with me with your own tratment.
please advise.
Posted Sat, 11 May 2013 in Acne
Answered by Dr. Kalpana Pathak 42 minutes later

As you are not having much acne lesions, you may follow these suggestions

- use a salicylic acid based face wash like saslic twice a day
- apply clindamycin gel twice in a day and adapalene( adeferin) gel in night over
acne lesions
- apply Kojic acid cream like kojivit or Kojic over dark spots
- avoid facials or oily creams over face
- avoid dairy products and products with high glycemic index like refined carbs

Hopefully with these, your acne should subside.
However if you do not get desirable result, you may follow the prescription suggested to you previously but under a doctor's guidance.
Aczit is isotretinoin and should always be taken under doctor's prescription as it can have side effects if not taken properly.

Hope that helped. Should there be any other query, feel free to write back.
Follow-up: Took treatment for acne problem. Now again getting acne on face. Can I continue previous treatment? 14 minutes later
I am already using the saslic face wash. and sometime benzer tube.
but the face washes and tubes are ok to reduce the effect of existitng pimples but
they can't resist the new ones.
Can you please provide me any mild tablet or something which resist the infection from inside.
Answered by Dr. Kalpana Pathak 15 hours later

Development of acne involves
Seborrhoea( oiliness or increased oil production) which is under control of androgen
Blockade of sebaceous or oil gland duct due to increased cell production( hypercornification of duct)
Thriving of P acnes bacteria in oil glands
Inflammation that sets in due to all above factors.

Now saslic that contains salicylic acid acts against first two steps
Clindamycin or benzoyl peroxide against against P acnes
Adapalene gel being a retinoid acts against all the steps of acne development.

I hope you have understood the basis of treatment prescribed by me or in general the basis of acne treatment.

Once your acne subsides, you may just continue with saslic face wash daily and apply adapalene gel in night over your acne prone areas to prevent acne outbreak. Also maintaining a good diet and avoiding oily cosmetics and facials would help too.
Still in case if acne persists or seems to flare up you may take a course of antibiotic like doxycycline or azithromycin. Azithromycin is usually given as 500mg tablet to be taken once in a day for three consecutive days in a week. It can be given for three weeks to twelve weeks depending on severity of acne.

If your acne is mild, just continue with topicals. If outbreaks are severe or if lesions are persistent I would encourage a doctor's visit prior to starting any oral treatment as oral drugs should better be taken under a doctor's follow up to monitor and gauge response to therapy and side effects if any.

Hope that helped.