Took thyroxine for thyroid during pregnancy. Should i continue after delivery?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Jan 2013
Jan 2013

Question
Hi! Doc - My TSH is 110 and T3 47.67 and T4 1.38. I had a baby 4 months back. I had Thyroid during pregnancy and use to have Thyroxine dosage during my pregancy, post delivery got Thyroid checked it became normal and I stopped the dosage. Please advise how much Thyroxine dosage should I have and also if any other medicine I should have...Thanks. XXXXXXX
Posted Wed, 2 Jan 2013 in Thyroid Problem and Hormonal Problems

Answered by Dr. Mayank Bhargava 49 minutes later
Hi Roopali,
Welcome to XXXXXXX forum.
Thyroid profile is generally deranged during pregnancy and it is due to fluid overload and growing fetus requirement.
After delivery, if you have normal thyroid profile then there is no need of Thyroxine.
Thyroxine is a natural hormone and if body is able to synthesize then there is no need of this hormone.
Your TSH value must be in normal range (0.35-5.50).
You should keep close scrutiny by regular check up of thyroid profile.
You should avoid cabbage, cauliflower, capsicum, broccoli and lettuce.
These all vegetables are labeled as goitorgenic and prone to cause hypothyroidism.
Hope that helps.
Let me know if I can address any more concerns.
Take care,
Dr. Mayank Bhargava

Follow-up: Took thyroxine for thyroid during pregnancy. Should i continue after delivery? 6 minutes later
Hi! Doc my TSH is 110 . Pls let me know how much dosage of Thyroxine I should have? Thanks

Answered by Dr. Mayank Bhargava 9 minutes later
Hi Roopali,
Kindly recheck normal reference value of TSH on your report.
You have mentioned TSH 110 and if it is normal after taking thyroxine then you have to continue the prescribed dosage.
If your TSH is still 110 then it is above the normal range (0.35-5.50).
You must have to take thyroxine tablet for keeping thyroid profile in normal range.
As such there is no fixed formula for prescribing thyroxine dosage.
You have to follow dietary restrictions along with thyroxine tablet.
Dosage of thyroxine is decided by titration and your body response to thyroxine.
You have to remain in regular follow up with your treating doctor.
Take care,
Dr. Mayank Bhargava

Follow-up: Took thyroxine for thyroid during pregnancy. Should i continue after delivery? 5 minutes later
On my report it says high TSH which is 110. Pls advise medicine dosage.

Answered by Dr. Mayank Bhargava 6 minutes later
Hi Roopali,
You should consult with XXXXXXX medicine specialist/ endocrinologist and should start with lowest dosage such as 25/50 microgram.
You should remain in touch with regular check up of thyroid profile.
After titration, dosage for individual patient is decided.
Best regards,
Dr. Mayank Bhargava