Took thyronorm during pregnancy for high TSH level. Having hyperthyroidism. Due to medicine?

Question
Hi, I delivered baby boy in Nov'2012. During pregnancy thyroid was detected, my TSH levels were above normal range. Initially my gynaec recommended Thyronorm 12 mcg. Since it did not improve TSH levels, my dose was increased to 25 mcg. And it brought TSH levels in normal range. But still gynaec suggested me to keep taking these medicine and get Thyroid test done after 3 months of delivery. I got thyroid test done and to my surprise my TSH level is below 0.01. I feel now I am suffering from hyperthyroidism. Can you please tell does taking Thyronorm after delivery has caused this? What should I do now?
Posted Sun, 17 Mar 2013 in Thyroid Problem and Hormonal Problems

Answered by Dr. Rahul Tawde 1 hour later
Dear XXXXXXX,
Stop thyronorm immediately. Suppressed TSH could be due to 2 things. Either because of taking thyronorm when it wasnt needed or because of a condition known as post partum thyroiditis which develops around this time. Both are self resolving in a sense & the latter returns to normal in a majority within 6 months even without any treatment. So stop thyronorm and repeat t3 t4 and TSH after 6 weeks. I dont think its hyperthyroidism but if facilities are there you can get a Tc 99m scan of thyroid but I suggest that you wait for 6 weeks and repeat thyroid tests before proceeding further.
Hope this helps,
Shivaprasad

Follow-up: Took thyronorm during pregnancy for high TSH level. Having hyperthyroidism. Due to medicine? 27 minutes later
Thanks a lot Dr. XXXXXXX I feel quite relieved after reading your reply. Just one question. Right now I am in India and will be heading for US in Mar end. Is it okay if I get the test done around Mar end? Because finding out about where we can these tests done in US might take time, what do you suggest?

Answered by Dr. Rahul Tawde 7 minutes later
You can repeat the test in March end. Get complete thyroid profile instead of just TSH.
Shivaprasad

Follow-up: Took thyronorm during pregnancy for high TSH level. Having hyperthyroidism. Due to medicine? 16 minutes later
Yes. This time also I got complete thyroid profile test. I forgot to mention my T3 and T4 values:
T3(Total) by CMIA, serum - 215.52
T4(Total) by CMIA, serum - 11.82.

T3 and T4 values are also slightly off the normal range.
Still, you would suggest to stop Thyronorm and repeat the test, right?

Answered by Dr. Rahul Tawde 47 minutes later
Yes the effect of thyronorm takes some time to subside like 2 to 4 weeks. Any way T4 is not very high. So repeat the test in last week of march.
Shivaprasad