Took sublingual suboxone. Woke up with swelling under tongue near frenulum. Side effect?

I am taking Sublingual suboxone and woke up today with swelling under my tongue near frenulum. Could that be from the suboxone?
Posted Fri, 10 May 2013 in Medicines and Side Effects
Answered by Dr. Anshumala Singh 1 hour later
Dear friend.

Thanks for sharing your concern.

Please give me complete history regarding swelling. Since when are you having this swelling and is it on one side of frenulum or it is on both side? Extent and size of swelling is also required.

According to the history that you have given, the swelling is not due to sub lingual suboxone.

Swelling under the tongue near frenulum could be due to many other reasons like partial or complete obstruction of salivary gland.

Please reply the above questions, for better diagnosis.

Hope it helps.

Follow-up: Took sublingual suboxone. Woke up with swelling under tongue near frenulum. Side effect? 1 hour later
I work up this morning and my mouth felt dry and I felt like I had something under my tongue. When I looked in the mirror and lifted my tongue I saw swelling in the middle that spreads evenly a bit to each side. It's not really red, just kind of normal color. It also does not feel very hard. I have been under a great deal of stress with an injured spouse and a major exam ahead. My whole family has been sick recently. I restarted the Suboxone film on Thursday night. I do feel kind of blah today. I would say the swelling is about the length of a dime and it doesn't affect my speech or eating. I do chew ice frequently, about 6 cups per day and I'm anemic.
Answered by Dr. Anshumala Singh 3 hours later
Dear friend.

Thanks for your reply.

First of all, do not worry at all. It is not cancer for sure. Also it is not due to suboxone.

Thanks for giving complete history.

The bilateral distribution of the swelling shows that it seems to be a mucous retention phenomenon called mucocele.

It is a common phenomenon which occurs due to partial or complete obstruction of sublingual or sub maxillary salivary gland. Some times even small deposits like calculus in the gland duct also cause this.

In simple terms, actually saliva is pooling under your tongue. For this a simple excision will lead to evacuation of the content. This will solve your problem.

Also remember, if the swelling reoccurs, then you need to get the salivary gland acini removed by your dentist.

Presently if it is not causing you much discomfort, then you can carry on with your activity and later on, visit your dentist once and get it simply excised.

Hope I have answered your query up to satisfaction. For further query let me know. I will be glad to answer.