Took steroids for ear infection. Dizziness and numbness on hands. MRI and ultrasound scan is fine.

May 2014

doctor said i had ear infection took antibiotics steriods 4 5 weeks got better then worse had mri,ultra sound on neck everything was good,4or5 weeks later dizziness starting to come back also feeling more tired after done with meds. also hands go to sleep while driving or bent. went to see ear nose throat doctor said could not find anything wrong
Posted Sat, 2 Nov 2013 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Vivek Chail 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Possibility mentioned, more information requested.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for writing in to us.

I have read your through query in detail.

Your ENT doctor might have examined you completely and then treated you for ear infection. I would like to know the details of antibiotics and steroids which you have taken. Even the dosage of the medications are important and their duration.

Infections of the ear may involve the external ear canal, middle ear cavity or inner ear. The infections of the external ear canal and middle ear cavity usually cause pain, inflammation and pus discharege and may be diagnosed easily using an otoscope. It is the inner ear problems (labyrinthitis) which can present as dizziness which may or may not respond to steroid treatment depending on the cause. It is difficult to make a diagnosis without certain tests.

I will be glad to know your MRI and ultrasound report details. Your dizziness can also be due to changes in flow of blood to your brain through the vertebral arteries or carotids. A Doppler ultrasound can be done to confirm this if necessary.

Coming to the hands (one side or both) going numb while driving or bent, it may be due to nerve compression and not be related to the ear problem. This requires complete neurological clinical examination.

Waiting for an update from your end.