Took steroid shot for bronchitis. Noticed elevated blood pressure level. Looking for solution?

Mar 2013
I had a steroid shot today for bronchitis. My blood pressure always reads 110 over 70 but today about 4 hrs after I got the shot my blood pressure has increased and now it's reading 184 over 93. It's 3 am and I'd like to go to bed and see if it would come down. What is your suggestion?
Posted Fri, 8 Mar 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Aarti Abraham 1 hour later
thank you for your query.

Steroid injections can cause hypertension and raised blood pressure.
At a systolic blood pressure > 160 and / or a diastolic > 90, you cannot simply rest at home.
You need to consult your Physician immediately, get the reading checked and get a prescription for an antihypertensive medication.
Generally, following steroid shot, the blood pressure should normalize within a few hours, but the reading of 184 / 93 carries risk of complications like stroke, embolism, lung complications and other fatal conditions.

Hence I urge you to contact / XXXXXXX your physician at the earliest.

Meanwhile, make sure you are not alone, and have assistance.

Take care, and all the best.