Took steroid injection for pain in coccyx. Now having crunching and popping sensation. Concerned

Orthopaedic Surgeon
I have been having a crunching and popping sensation coming from my coccyx for some time. A couple of years ago I had pain in that area that resulted in having a steroid injection which relieved the pain. Pain has now returned and the cracking and crunching is concerning me somewhat
Posted Mon, 13 May 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 4 hours later
These symptoms are suggestive of coccydynia caused by inflammation of the coccyx bone. The symptoms are generally worse when sitting for prolonged periods of time, or with direct pressure to the tailbone area.

Follow these measures for relief from the symptoms:

1) Avoid sitting down for long periods of time. Also, lean forward and direct your weight away from the tailbone.

2) Take adequate rest and apply cold compresses, avoid any injury to the affected area and take some antiinflammatory and pain medications like ibuprofen(motrin) or diclofenac. In severe cases with persistent coccydynia local cortisone injection and surgical resection of the coccyx may be needed.

3) You can also use a "doughnut" cushion or pillow to sit on. This cushion has a hole in the middle of it to prevent the tailbone from contacting the flat surface.

4) Also eat a high fiber diet foods to soften stools and avoid constipation.

I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.
Follow-up: Took steroid injection for pain in coccyx. Now having crunching and popping sensation. Concerned 6 hours later
I understand why this condition would give me pain but interested to know why the crunching and popping sensation?
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 10 minutes later
Thanks for writing again.
The crunching and popping sensation is due to the degenerative changes in the joint. A decrease in the articular cartilage smoothness and inflammation causes such symptoms.
Hope my answer is helpful.
Do accept my answer in case there are no further queries.
Follow-up: Took steroid injection for pain in coccyx. Now having crunching and popping sensation. Concerned 8 minutes later
Thank you this is very helpful. Have taken note of ways to treat the discomfort.
I have a question though. Will it just get worse if its due to a degenerative process and if so apart from cortisone injections what will it mean in the future? Will it keep recurring?
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 19 minutes later
The degenerative process will keep on increasing if proper measures like medicines and regular exercise are not taken to decrease the inflammation.
Recurrent attacks may happen. In case of severe symptoms, surgical treatment may need to be considered later.