Took shower with a special kind of soap before pacemaker put in. Allergic?

Dec 2012

I had a pacemaker put in a week ago and no one ever mentioned side effects. I assume that at one point there must have been a tube in my throat but no one ever mentioned jock itch. I do remember that prior to the procedure I had to shower twice with a special kind of soap. Allergic?
Posted Thu, 21 Mar 2013 in Infections
Answered by Dr. Nsah Bernard 1 hour later

Welcome and thanks for posting on XXXXXXX

Jock itch, also called tinea cruris or ringworm of the groin, is an infection of the groin area caused by fungus. If what you have is actually jock itch then it has no relation to the pacemaker implant in you. What you can understand is that most medical procedures when done are usually so complex that most practitioners always prefer to spare the patient the details. Pacemaker implantation rarely come with side effects.
The risks of putting in a pacemaker include:
- Puncture of the heart
- Infection
- Blood clot
- Bleeding
- Breathing problems
- Irregular heart rhythms
- Pacemaker malfunction (wire breakage, sensing problems)

In rare cases, people feel throbbing in the neck, chest fullness, or lightheadedness when the pacemaker sends out impulses. Talk to your doctor about what types of side effects you may expect from your pacemaker as I think it is your utmost right as a patient to know.
You showering twice with the soap was simply to reduce the risk of infection (aseptic).
You might develop an allergy from the pacemaker but it is better you get a doctor take look at your rash/itch before you jump into any personal conclusions.

Hope this helps and wish you the best
Dr Nsah