Took sertaline and had hot flashes and burning sensation. How to fix it? Medication?

I took sertaline for two days and I started to feel hot flashes and burning sensation, so I did not take it today but I could not sleep because I have the hot flashes and burning sensation again eventhough i dod not take it . How can this be fixed? Should I take it?
Posted Mon, 30 Apr 2012 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Rakesh Madhyastha 41 minutes later

Thanks for the query

After reading your query, it looks like you are suffering from akathisia which is one of the side effects of sertaline. It is usually seen when sertaline is started or dose is increased. It will take several days for these effects to come down; sometimes this may take upto 2 weeks.
Another possibility is if you are taking disulfiram to fight alcoholism, then serrtaline is known to produce such symptoms in these people. You did not mention use of such medication.

Two things can be done in your case:
1. Dose of sertaline can be reduced.
2. A different drug can be introduced to tackle the same issue

Currently, there are no set medications to help reduce these effects of sertaline apart from stopping the drug. The effects of the drug will wean off slowly. I suggest you to review with your psychiatrist. Revision of your drugs as suggested is entailed.

Meanwhile I suggest you the following measures that might help you-
1. Drink plenty of water, keep yourself hydrated
2. Avoid strenuous exercise
3. Please speak to your doctor if you are having plans of travelling this week
4. Avoid alcohol this week

I hope I have answered your query, if there are no further queries please accept this answer

I wish you good health and a speedy recovery.